So you think you’ve got what it takes to be a fashion store director? Let’s take a look at some of the role requirements for this exciting job appointment.
So, you’ve climbed the retail ladder to the top rung and you’re on the cusp of securing that dream management role, or perhaps you’re in the marketing industry and think you’ve got the right skillset despite a lack of experience in the field. Let’s take a look at the role of a fashion store director and what employers look for when headhunting this role.
Do you have what it takes?
As a fashion store director you’ll have a rare opportunity to become an integral part of a brand and retailer, you’ll be multi-talented and possess great communication and leadership skills in order to lead, train and mentor a large team. In addition you’ll be a people person and with an ability to build relationships with all walks of life.
If you’re appointed as a fashion store director for a flagship store, you’ll need to take into account there will likely be a large amount of press attention in the lead up to the opening, so you’ll need to be able to liaise with head office as well as PR industry movers and shakers.
It’s important to note that as a store director you’ll be running the show, you have to almost imagine that you are running your very own business. Contrary to what many people think about management, you’ll be in charge of much more than just ‘the hiring and firing’, the responsibility for the success and development of the store will rest firmly on your shoulders.
Experience – more than just a word
- Usually a minimum of two years management experience is required, however if you have transferrable skills from another industry you may still be considered
- Knowledge and experience of the fashion industry, you’ll need to be up to date with current trends and movements across the board.
- Strong sales skills
- Hands on approach to work – you won’t be able to fade into the background in this industry
- Good numerical ability and knowledge of budget and target management
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Committed to delivering outstanding customer experience
- Great people skills and ability to deal with stressful situations in a calm and efficient manner
In addition to an attractive salary, you’ll be in line for bonuses, staff discount and often pension / healthcare support.
Fashion Store Director Jobs
Bagging a fashion store director job is no easy feat, there’s fierce competition out there and you’ll be up against some pretty tough opponents. Remember to build up contacts, polish your CV, and gain as much experience as possible. Above all, be yourself.
Hudson Walker have recruited some of the best employees that the fashion industry had to offer. If you think you have the relevant skillset and experience, why not send a speculative application in to firstname.lastname@example.org.